[IronPython] Microsoft Permissive License's asymmetry of binary and source distribution

M. David Peterson xmlhacker at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 12:25:56 CEST 2007

On 8/29/07, Sanghyeon Seo <sanxiyn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now, suppose a collective work composed of Ms-PL-licensed sources and
> GPL-licensed sources. My understanding is that it is undistributable
> in source code form since both licenses want it to be licensed "under
> this license". I think GPL would "comply with Ms-PL", but GPL requires
> distributing in binary form to be accompanied with the complete
> machine-readable source code, so the source code needs to be
> distributable too.

Isn't this true about most BSD-esque licenses?  I'll admit that I have never
really dug much deeper than the surface as to why BSD-esque and GPL licenses
tend to be incompatible and therefore redistribution of a GPL'd software
package inside of a BSD-esque software package is not allowed.  But off the
top of my head, the Trac <> MoinMoin incompatibility comes to mind, and
there are obviously LOTS and LOTS of other similar situations.

Is this particular issue really all that unique, or am I missing something
obvious?

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson