[IronPython] CLR Debugger - No source code available for the current location.

Paul Childs pchilds at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 17:52:11 CET 2006

Hello,

I have been trying out IronPython and working on the supplied tutorial.

I can't seem to get the debugging part of the tutorial to work. See steps below.

I have followed the instructions several times and every time I hit
F11 at the break point placed on the line: print first.add(1, 2) I get
a dialogue box with the message "No source code available for the
current location." I am VERY sure that I have followed the
instructions to the letter.

If anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Points:
IronPython Beta 4
Windows XP SP 1
I made sure I was using the CLR debugger for .NET 2.0

Here are the steps I followed from the tutorial...
Task 1: Debugging IronPython program using Microsoft CLR Debugger

1. Launch Microsoft CLR Debugger.

2. From the debugger Menu, select Debug / Program to Debug  		...

3. For Program, browse to the IronPythonConsole.exe (located in the
installation directory)

4. For Arguments, type in debugging.py

5. Change Working directory to the Tutorial directory

6. Click OK

7. From Menu, select File / Open / File. Browse to the Tutorial
directory and select two files to open:

debugging.py
first.py

8. Place breakpoint at the following line of the debugging.py file
(Place cursor on the line and pres F9):

print first.add(1, 2)

9. Press F5 - Start Debugging.

10. IronPython will compile the debugging.py file and start executing
it. You will hit the breakpoint at the line 3.

Note: If you get poor performance starting the debugging  session,
exit the debugger, open the Windows Explorer and delete the following
directory:

%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\DbgClr

10. Pressing F11, step through the execution of the program,  explore
variables (even change the values of the variables in the watch
window) and explore the call stack.

11. End the debugging session and exit the debugger.