[IronPython] Importing embedded .py files

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Wed Jul 5 18:33:14 CEST 2006

This is likely due to a Unicode / ASCII difference.  I suspect that somewhere someone is calling str(xyz) or unicode(xyz) w/ a character that is outside of the ASCII range but also doesn't decode into Unicode.

For an example of this you can look at bug 356 on CodePlex http://www.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?ProjectName=IronPython&WorkItemId=356

I'm not entirely sure how we go about handling this due to the differences in the way the two implementations handle strings (all of ours are Unicode), but we will try and work on a solution for v1.0.

If you could look and see if this is coming from a call to the built-in str or unicode types that would be helpful in understanding how we need to fix this (ParrotBench also runs into this issue an expects an exception, so unfortuntately it's not as easy as suppressing the exception - as it is correct sometimes).