[IPython-dev] Metaclasses in traitlets and PEP 487

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 07:16:52 EST 2016

Hi Martin,

Thanks for looking into this - it would be great to avoid maintaining our
own metaclasses in traitlets, and I know that we have somewhere knocking
around a QMetaObjectHasTraits class because of precisely the multiple
inheritance problem that you describe.

Just to check that I understand, if the PEP is accepted, we wouldn't add a
utils.metaclass module to traitlets, but instead use the new SubclassInit
class in the standard library, and an equivalent backport on PyPI for
already released Python versions, right?

Thanks,
Thomas