[IPython-dev] Can I safely ignore "comm_open" for ipywidgets.CommInfo/ipython.widgets

Jonathan Frederic jon.freder at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 13:18:30 EST 2015

Hi Tom,

If you don't plan on implementing ipywidget support in your kernel, you
shouldn't have to worry about implementing that.  It's a channel used to
determine what widget comms existing in the backend in order to reconnect
them to the front end on page refresh.

Regarding "target_name key is not found on the receiving side", I suggest
you read the comm spec here:
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki/IPEP-21%3A-Widget-Messages .
Basically comm handlers are registered by target_name, that's how the comms
are matched accross the front end / back end boundary.

Cheers,
Jon