[IPython-dev] Notebook execution freeze in run-mode when using Run All

Antonino Ingargiola tritemio at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 17:01:06 EST 2015

Hi,

I have a long running notebook which runs many other notebooks (using
nbconvert). The total run time is between 10 and 30 minutes. It used to
work with notebook < 4.

Recently (notebook >=4) the notebook UI gets stuck in execution mode (the
UI shows cells executed half way through the notebook while the remaining
cells have In[*] prompt) when I run the cells with Run All menu. In this
frozen mode the CPU is idle and the computation does not complete.
Sometimes (not always) in the terminal I read this:

    [IPKernelApp] WARNING | Timeout waiting for IOPub output

The point where the notebook gets stuck is not always the same. No other
messages, even in debug mode except for the occasional notebook autosave.

Any ideas what is the cause of the issue?

This is on windows x64, python 3.4, notebook 4.0.6 and miniconda3
installation.

Antonio