[IPython-dev] Best practice of deployment for university courses

William Stein wstein at gmail.com
Mon May 18 10:23:44 EDT 2015

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 7:13 AM, Ozan Çağlayan <ozancag at gmail.com> wrote:
> aah, well i didn't know about that! So I'll recheck it.
>
> Meanwhile I have another question :)
>
> Once everything seems ok, I'll create UNIX user accounts automatically
> with a script but currently I do not know whether I need some
> precreated jupyter/ipython related configuration folders or files in
> user's home directories. For example I just installed a Py2.7
> environment with conda globally and did run "ipython kernelspec
> install-self" as root. Now when I login through jupyterhub, my regular
> user can benefit from both the default Python3 environment and the
> newly installed Python2 one. Do you think that at some point, I will
> need to modify/copy stuff into each user's home directory in order to
> add a feature or change a behaviour in the jupyter stack?
>
> I hope the question is clear :/

You can alternatively create a directory "/usr/local/share/jupyter/"
and it will apply to all Jupyter notebooks run by users, I think.  For
example, for SageMathCloud, I have the following:

salvus at compute1-us:/usr$ ls -lht /usr/local/share/jupyter/kernels/
total 12K
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K May  7 11:40 ir
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Apr  8 22:38 julia 0.3
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Apr  8 22:31 python3

The directories ir, julia 0.3, and python3 each enable additional backends...

--
William (http://wstein.org)