[IPython-dev] Jupytor notebook extension

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 00:50:09 EDT 2015

Hi Kiko,

Thanks for posting about your Jupytor extension. We're fans of Python
Tutor, and having it embedded in the notebook makes a really attractive
tool for helping people understand how executing code works.

However, we're concerned that the name *Jupytor* might confuse people,
because it's so similar to *Jupyter*. We've already seen a couple of
accidental misspellings of Jupyter. Please can we ask you to rename your
extension to make the difference clearer? This will probably make it easier
to tell people about the extension too.

It's important to understand that, at least under US copyright law,
projects and entities *must* protect their trademarks in order to claim
rights to them.  While we haven't yet filed for a registered trademark for
Jupyter, we will, and we do have usage rights to the Jupyter trademark,
having introduced it and associated it with the project.

For example, these are the guidelines for how to use the Python trademark:
https://www.python.org/psf/trademarks.  We try to largely follow the spirit
of how Python lays out its policies.  In particular, we do need to avoid
having closely related projects whose name is derivative/similar enough to
cause potential confusion.

We hope you will understand our position, and that by finding a more
uniquely identifying name for your project, it will actually help you
establish it as its own independent entity.

Thanks,

Fernando, on behalf of the IPython/Jupyter core team.