[IPython-dev] ANN: HoloViews 1.0 released

PhilippJFR P.Rudiger at ed.ac.uk
Thu Mar 19 16:27:37 EDT 2015

Matthias Bussonnier wrote
> I've seen in particular that you are building docs as notebook.
> We plan to do the same for IPython, any plan to make this
> part more standalone / pip-installable ?
> Or is it already ?

Hi Matthias,

The notebook doc building is based on  Nathan Goldbaum's NotebookDirective
<https://bitbucket.org/ngoldbaum/yt-samfork/src/601247197187c1814a073d3bca831bf4e6cd5db7/doc/extensions/notebook_sphinxext.py?at=yt>
for Sphinx. You can look at our version  here
<https://github.com/ioam/ioam-builder/blob/nbpublisher/nbbuild.py>  , but
it's far from ready for distribution. The only real changes I made were to
switch to the basic html template and change some the hackery that's
required to clean up conflicting css and strip html tags so that it is
suitable for Sphinx. Additionally, thanks to Jean-Luc it hooks into a
testing system to capture our output, which allows us to dynamically
generate data and display comparisons as unit tests.

Presumably the part of the code that deals with cleaning up the nbconvert
output for Sphinx should be reimplemented as a nbconvert Postprocessor for
you to use. If you are also interested in our testing facilities, it would
be great to integrate that more tightly with IPython. We have recently added
an exporting system for notebooks, allowing you to save the data and display
output for each cell, which can be used either for archival purposes or to
set up test comparisons. If you're at all in interested in something like
that it would be great to chat about it at some point.

Philipp