[IPython-dev] Debugging when communication of notebook with kernel lost?

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 09:31:54 EDT 2015

Hi Anton,

> On Jun 27, 2015, at 14:36, Anton Suchaneck <a.suchaneck at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> I occasionally have the issue that no more commands are being executed in the IPython notebook. The interface responds, but just leaves [*] cells without progressing or interrupting on request. Sometimes this even happens right after starting. I cannot find an error message. Often restarting the kernel works, but sometimes even that doesn't work right away.

This look really like
1) the kernel is actually doing computation
2) the packets get intercepted/dropped in between fronted/server.

I doubt this is 1, so it is most likely 2,

unfortunately if it is 2, there will probably not be errors, are we are just waiting for things that will never come back.

> How can I inspect what's going on (and maybe report that)?

I would suggest starting the notebook with --debug, to get more verbose messages if any,
and can you look at the Javascript console to see if there is anything ?

> I work on a local Windows 7 computer with company firewall. Someone suggested it's due to Windows.

Do you have sophos antivirus ?