[IPython-dev] rant: "%matplotlib inline"

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 20:33:46 EDT 2015

We get this report plenty, too. The idea seems to be that we should use an
importhook to make inline the default backend with IPython is running.
There seems to be a question of whether such a hook should be in matplotlib
or IPython, and each time we start the conversation, it wanders off to
other topics before we resolve it well enough for a PR. Hopefully we can
decide on an implementation next week at SciPy, and ship it.

I have a sample import hook
<https://github.com/minrk/profile_default/blob/master/startup/mplimporthook.py>
that does exactly this in my startup files. I’m not 100% certain it’s the
right thing to do, but I would be happy to see something like this in
either IPython or matplotlib.

-MinRK
​