[IPython-dev] Proposal: soft moratorium on re-architecting for 5.0

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 16:29:55 EDT 2015

Thomas has been informally leading the charge, so I'd be happy to follow
him formally on 4.0. We are in good shape to have the majority of the
smaller packages shipped by the end of SciPy (at least 2-3 before then).
The bit that gets a little tricky is that we need to release IPython last
(so that `ipython[all]` still works, but other projects depend on it,
either directly (parallel, kernel) or artificially (notebook, qtconsole). I
think we can still release those downstream projects before IPython,
though. Until IPython is released, they won't be pip-installable without
having done `pip install -e git:ipython` first, but it lets us progress
without having to do one big day of releasing a half dozen packages.

Re: release managers, I think it's also important to note that we will
hopefully only need the more formal freeze/release process for the more
active projects (likely ipython/ipython, notebook, widgets, possibly
nbconvert on occasion). For the most part, the other projects should be
able to operate at a much more informal, frequent bugfix release pattern,
where major revisions are less common, and active work causes tension with
release.

-MinRK