[IPython-dev] Proposal: soft moratorium on re-architecting for 5.0

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 03:33:29 EDT 2015

A few words on the documentation stuff:

* If docs are important - let's block the 4.0 release. Isn't that the
definition of "important" for software projects? Otherwise, everyone
will find other, more interesting things to work on (including me :-).
We don't have to block 4.0 on having *perfect* docs, but I think it
would be good to have a simple docs rubrics that all released packages
should pass before a release. As time goes on we can expand the rubric
and continue to improve the quality of docs. I have silently been
thinking this for a while...
* Our experience has shown that writing good docs is *extremely*
difficult - even more difficult than testing asynch JavaScript against
all browsers ;-) Because of this, I think the central docs effort
should be led by our most senior developers and writers. This doesn't
preclude community contributions, but I don't think that should be our
central docs strategy.

Would there be support for developing a simple docs rubric and
blocking 4.0 based on packages passing that rubric? SciPy could be a
great place for creating that rubric...

Cheers,

Brian