[IPython-dev] How to load an extension into every notebook on a server

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 17:27:00 EST 2015

Looking at the Genepattern code [1], it's using display() to publish data.
The notebook interface will only actually use the Javascript that sends if
it's coming from code run in a cell, so that part of the loading can't work
at startup.

I think we'd probably encourage you to keep putting the command to load the
extension at the top of every notebook, by analogy with a similar situation
we had with pylab. It used to be possible to run "ipython notebook
--pylab", and have a lot of numpy & matplotlib functions pre-loaded into
the namespace. But this produces notebooks which can only be run by someone
starting the notebook server in the same way. We found it better to use a
'%pylab' magic inside the notebook when we want the namespace set up like
that. I think loading the genepattern extension is a similar thing: it's
clearer what's going on when that lives inside the notebook, rather than
hidden in your config.

[1]
https://github.com/genepattern/genepattern-notebook/blob/master/profile/extensions/genepattern.py

Thomas