[IPython-dev] how to display messages received by console or notebook front end

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 03:54:17 EDT 2015

> On Aug 25, 2015, at 01:59, Robert Dodier <robert.dodier at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, I'm trying to implement input_request/input_reply in a kernel for
> Maxima. Is there a way to get the console or notebook front end to
> display the messages it receives from the kernel? The
> --Session.debug=True option seems to cause it to show only the
> messages sent from the front end to the kernel, and not in the other
> direction.

We just updated jupyter_client master to do that.
https://github.com/jupyter/jupyter_client/pull/64 <https://github.com/jupyter/jupyter_client/pull/64>

> By the way, how is the console or notebook supposed to respond to input_request?

The notebook append an in put field which is submitted when the user press enter.
you can try on try.jupyter.org with the following in a python cell:

name = input('name:’)

If the fronted does not support input request it should raise a not implemented from our side in Python at least IIRC.

Does that reply to your question ?