[IPython-dev] Options for cloud-based Jupyterhub for Python training?

Signell, Richard rsignell at usgs.gov
Wed Apr 22 17:06:41 EDT 2015

Jupyterhub folks,

We are looking for solutions for one week of Python training for about
50 met-ocean students at the NSF-funded Unidata Program Center in
Boulder (in June).  And we are thinking Jupyterhub on the cloud.

We know that Software Carpentry favors students to install on their
own laptops, but we are leaning toward a cloud solution to demonstrate
the advantages of computing close to large met-ocean datasets.  And we
could also set up a common environment with packages used in the
met-ocean community (e.g. http://conda.binstar.org/ioos).

We read this article
https://developer.rackspace.com/blog/deploying-jupyterhub-for-education/
which is similar to what we would like to set up, but the setup
sounded rather harrowing.

Are there other solutions that would take less setup, yet allow us a
multi-user notebook login with cloud resources with a shared custom
env?

Thanks,
Rich

--