[IPython-dev] git describe doesn't work?

James Booth jabooth at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 05:35:30 EDT 2014

Very strange timing, just this minute I am trying to diagnose a similar
conda/git describe problem on our project menpo.

This seems like a pretty clear case of the git history just not being there
though:

> git merge-base --is-ancestor rel-2.2.0 origin/master; echo $?
1 (false)

> git merge-base --is-ancestor rel-2.1.0 origin/master; echo $?
1 (false)

> git merge-base --is-ancestor rel-2.0.0 origin/master; echo $?
0 (true)

The commits which have been tagged as the last two releases (2.2.0, 2.1.0)
are not ancestors of master, hence it's description as 'a lot more commits
than rel-2.0.0'. Don't know enough about IPython releases to know whether
than is intentional or not though!

Best
James