[IPython-dev] IPython for Education

Tiago Antao tra at popgen.net
Thu Mar 20 13:34:06 EDT 2014

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 17:06:31 +0000
Alessandro Gagliardi <alessandro.gagliardi at glassdoor.com> wrote:

> I was thinking about that. But my understanding is that when multiple
> people are logged into the same IPython server, this might cause
> problems for the server. Particularly if they are using the same
> notebook, it seems like the kernel could easily get into an
> inconsistent state. Were you imagining that the students would each
> be using their own notebook but hosted on a single server? Or are
> there ways to have multiple users working on the same notebook
> without it causing problems?

In a teaching environment it might be interesting to have a setup where
people could copy from other server users (very similar to github
forks). Initially maybe having some notebooks from the teacher which
everyone could copy and hack on. But then having students sharing
contents among themselves via forking.

Sorry for the brainstorming, but I am involved in discussion precisely
to create notebooks for (self)teaching (biopython) and this seemed
relevant...

Tiago