[IPython-dev] Results of last year's user survey

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 14:37:28 EDT 2014

Hi all,

You may remember filling in a survey of IPython users last year. I finally
got round to writing up the results from that, and you can now view them on
the website:

http://ipython.org/usersurvey2013.html

Significant findings include:
- A rapid changeover to new IPython versions
- More people report using the notebook than the IPython terminal interface
- 22% have used IPython on Python 3.3.
- Nearly 60 people reported using IPython with the Spyder IDE
- People install IPython from a variety of sources, but no one installation
method was used by more than half of respondents.

I read through all of the suggestions and comments written in the survey,
and forwarded some groups of them to people with specific expertise. The
write up includes some notes on requests that I saw multiple times.

Finally, we're grateful to the over 100 people who used the comments and
suggestions field to thank or compliment us. :-)

Thanks,
Thomas