[IPython-dev] ijulia?

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 13:20:48 EDT 2014

On 13 July 2014 11:28, Sylvain Corlay <sylvain.corlay at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree that it would be relevant to have some language information in the
> metadata of the ipynb file, but not directly the backend name, to allow
> concurrent backends to coexist for a given language.
> This would be very useful to people developing kernels.
> The different backends could be registered in ipython_notebook_config.py
>    -the executable
>    -the name of the corresponding language
>    -a short user-friendly name for the backend .

This is pretty much what we're doing, though it's not stored in the config
file - there's a directory where kernels can install information about
themselves. See IPEP 25 for more details:
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki/IPEP-25:-Registry-of-installed-kernels

> When opening a notebook from the dashboard, a warning could be triggered
> or a choice could be given depending on whether multiple or no backend is
> available.

For now, it will only try to start the kernel that the notebook was last
used with. The language field is saved in the notebook metadata, so it
would be possible to write a mechanism to fall back to another kernel for
the relevant language, but I think that's unnecessary complexity for the
moment.

Thomas