[IPython-dev] Using --debug to trace kernel messages

Konrad Hinsen konrad.hinsen at fastmail.net
Fri Jan 24 11:44:04 EST 2014

I am trying to explore communication between the notebook and the kernel
by passing the --debug flag to IPython. With the default configuration,
this works fine.

However, as soon as I change KernelManager.kernel_cmd in the
configuration (e.g. in ipython_config.py), all the debug messages
related to the kernel disappear. This happens even if I set kernel_cmd
to the exact same value that it has by default.

Is this a bug or a feature? In the latter case, is there a way
to get debug messages back?

Thanks in advance,
  Konrad.