[IPython-dev] IPython Notebook Diagrams

Andrew Gibiansky andrew.gibiansky at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 21:29:07 EST 2014

Hey all!

I've figured out one way to do this.

If we use something like %%tikz (if it or something like it exists) or just using Python to generate figures, then the only thing we want to do is hide the input cell and the In[] and Out[] from the nbconvert output. You can do this with templates:

If, in IPython notebook, you make cell headers be "edit metadata", and change metadata to something like {"display": "false"}, you can then change your templates to make nbconvert ignore those cells.

The relevant bits in basic.tpl that need to be modified look like this:

{% block output %}
{%- if output.output_type == 'pyout' and cell.metadata.display != "false" -%}
Out[{{ cell.prompt_number }}]:
{%- else -%}
{%- endif -%}
{{ super() }}
{% endblock output %}
and

{% block input_group -%}
    {%- if cell.metadata.display != "false" -%}
        {{ super() }}
    {%- endif -%}
{% endblock input_group %}
Note how those templates check that cell.metadata.display is false, so it'll ignore things that we don't want to show!

It looks like there's plenty of extensions (such as Asymptote) for drawing pretty pictures, this pretty effectively solves the problem.

The only issue is that you have to have your own templates, which is sorta ugly, but ain't a big problem.

-- Andrew