[IPython-dev] newest ipython does not start

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 11:06:56 EST 2014

On 23 December 2014 at 15:29, Zoltán Vörös <zvoros at gmail.com> wrote:

> Many thanks for tracking down the issue! I guess, the moral is, perhaps,
> that I should switch to python3.

That also doesn't exhibit the problem.

The Python 2 'exec code in ns' syntax became a function 'exec(code, ns)' in
Python 3. But the latter syntax also works in Python 2 - it sees it as an
exec statement with a tuple, and treats the tuple like the equivalent
function call in Python 3. So we're relying on that and only using the
function call form to call exec. But there was evidently a bug in exactly
how Python 2 handled the new syntax.

Thomas