[IPython-dev] newest ipython does not start

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 09:54:27 EST 2014

On 23 December 2014 at 12:43, Zoltán Vörös <zvoros at gmail.com> wrote:

> SyntaxError: unqualified exec is not allowed in function 'run_code' it
> contains a nested function with free variables

I can now reproduce this on a computer that's still using Python 2.7.3.
Digging into Python bugs, I think we've fallen foul of issue 21591 (
http://bugs.python.org/issue21591 ), which was only fixed in Python
2.7.9... which was only released two weeks ago. I guess my system and the
Travis bots got updated very quickly.

I guess it's probably not reasonable to depend on a new bugfix release that
soon. It should be an easy, if annoying, fix.

Thomas