[IPython-dev] newest ipython does not start

Zoltán Vörös zvoros at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 07:43:02 EST 2014

Hi all,

I have just pulled the latest code from master, and it seems to me that
there is a bug of some sort in start_ipython. Here is my traceback:

v923z at tux:~$ ipython
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/local/bin/ipython", line 4, in <module>
     from IPython import start_ipython
   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/IPython/__init__.py",
line 49, in <module>
     from .terminal.embed import embed
   File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/IPython/terminal/embed.py", line
16, in <module>
     from IPython.core.interactiveshell import DummyMod
   File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/IPython/core/interactiveshell.py",
line 3045
     exec(code_obj, self.user_global_ns, self.user_ns)
SyntaxError: unqualified exec is not allowed in function 'run_code' it
contains a nested function with free variables

I have also done a clean install (cloned the code from github), but the
problem still persists. Is there something wrong on my side, or this is
a new issue?

Thanks,
Zoltán