[IPython-dev] Runtime Console Using IPython

Jason Grout jason-sage at creativetrax.com
Sat Aug 30 23:25:46 EDT 2014

On 8/30/14, 22:50, Fernando Perez wrote:

> They illustrate how to embed a kernel in a process that may have its own
> event loop (Qt and Wx provided), and how to connect to it from an
> external Qt console, with both the Qt console and the GUI controls
> manipulating the same namespace.
>
> It's a different take on the same kind of ideas, and you may find it useful.

Related to this, I was thinking the other day that it would be really
useful if there was an easy standard way to make small, short widget
control update messages and resulting event triggers do their work on a
separate thread.  I had some usecases the other day where the
interactivity was severely lagging because the kernel was tied up doing
other unrelated work.  This probably wouldn't make sense to do by
default, but maybe with some special decorator or something.  I
experimented with this sort of thing several years ago with Sage
interacts, but I'm thinking through it in the context of the IPython
widgets now.  Just thought I'd bring it up as a related idea to your
paragraph above.

Thanks,

Jason