[IPython-dev] Using IPython notebooks to teach Python

Greg Wilson gvwilson at third-bit.com
Fri Aug 22 06:51:44 EDT 2014

Hi all,

We have been using the IPython Notebook to teach Software Carpentry
classes for a year now, and while we like it a lot, we've been bumping
into two issues:

1. For most students, the notebook is an entirely new kind of interface
unlike any they've seen before, which means they're trying to learn two
things at once: Python, and the notebook itself.  I've had good success
introducing Python first via the standard command-line interpreter,
letting them get comfortable with a few basic ideas (say, from "assign a
value to a variable" to "the code block belonging to a loop must be
indented"), and *then* introducing the notebook.  This fall, I'm going
to experiment with showing them Python via Wing101 (a simple IDE that's
widely used in undergrad computer science teaching), then switching to
the notebook.

2. Notebooks and version control don't play nicely together.  This may
not be an issue for you if you're not trying to teach students to use
version control as part of the class, but diffing and merging the source
of notebooks is out of reach for novice programmers.

Cheers,
Greg