[IPython-dev] Url route to download a notebook and open it

Kyle Kelley rgbkrk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 01:09:12 EDT 2014

Going after the security issue, the nice thing is that we're now signing
the notebooks. No javascript from a notebook would be run. iframe embedding
is now blocked by the X-Frame-Options header as well.

With the notebook prior to v2, as an attacker I would create a site that
opens an iframe to a download route (or provides a link) to a malicious
notebook (hosted on one of the whitelisted domains, like
githubusercontent.com).

That's not to say that there wouldn't be a hole elsewhere with a download
route. The thing about making an explicit action on the user's part is to
make this avenue for attack less easy.

Kyle Kelley (@rgbkrk <https://twitter.com/rgbkrk>; http://lambdaops.com)