[IPython-dev] Mime type for IPython notebooks

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 14:20:59 EDT 2014

In the dev meeting, we discussed what the mime type should be for IPython
notebook files. The people in the meeting preferred
*application/x-ipynb+json* (we also considered
application/x-jupyter-notebook+json, and both of those without the +json
suffix). Looking at the official mime type registry [1], +json and +xml are
common suffixes to indicate container formats.

Does anyone want to argue for a different mime type before we declare
application/x-ipynb+json the victor?

1 http://www.iana.org/form/media-types

Thanks,
Thomas