[IPython-dev] Errors in ipython startup muted by Notebook?

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 17:11:36 EDT 2014

Yes, output from the IPython kernel is associated with the input that
caused it via a notion of a parent. In the notebook, each cell causes a
particular set of output. If output is received and not associated with a
cell on the page, it is discarded. Output from startup files has no parent,
and is thus discarded by the notebook. If we had a place to display
orphaned output, we could do this.

We could also consider sending output to sys.__stderr__ when parent=None,
which would mean that kernel output with no parent would at least go to the
terminal in which the kernel was started.

-MinRK
​