[IPython-dev] changing plotting backend

Vasco Tenner vasco+python at tenner.nl
Thu Apr 3 04:07:48 EDT 2014

Hi Thomas,

On 03/31/2014 07:19 PM, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
> On 31 March 2014 07:43, Vasco Tenner <vasco+python at tenner.nl
> <mailto:vasco+python at tenner.nl>> wrote:
>
>     I tried this again with the master version of this afternoon. First
>     create a new profile, and use that profile. Still the same symptoms, I
>     cannot change the plotting backend.
>

> And you're not starting the notebook server with any command line flags?
> Could you have set up a bash alias for it which uses some flags? A
> $PYTHONSTARTUP file? Sorry if it seems like a basic question, but I can
> only think that something must be loading tk before you get to run
> %matplotlib.
Indeed, I started ipython notebook with the --matplotlib flag. Without
this flag I can run
%matplotlib wx

On 03/28/2014 12:03 PM, Vasco Tenner wrote:> when I open a new ipython
shell (master), withouth any flags, I can set
> the plotting backend by:
>   > %matplotlib wx
> Or
>   > %matplotlib gtk
>
> However, I cannot change it halfway my session:
>   > %matplotlib wx
>
>   > %matplotlib gtk
> Warning: Cannot change to a different GUI toolkit: qt. Using wx
> instead.

Is the other point (you cannot change the matplotlib backend) normal
behaviour?

Vasco