[IPython-dev] IScala: a Scala-language backend for IPython

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 13:40:23 EDT 2013

> I think the IPython's notebook format is already quite language
> independent. It's the interpretation of the format that has to be
> improved (e.g. adding syntax highlight for other languages).

I think you are confusing what the notebook format handles.  It knows
nothing about syntax highlighting.  Each code cell has a language
field that can be set.  The problem right now is with the frontend,
which doesn't set that field and switch syntax highlighting
appropriately.

> I would
> invent my adhoc format (xipynb) even if I was creating notebooks with
> Python code, because editing JSON manually is not an option for me
> (for quite obvious reasons). Neither is using Notebook app for major
> editorial work (although, for running code is OK), at least until
> vim-like key bindings are supported on cell and intra-cell level (the
> other is equally important, because writing code/text vim style and
> switching to emacs style for cell manipulation would be very
> inefficient) (vim is too deeply wired in my mind). However, I may not
> like JSON, but it's good you chose an encoding of the format that has
> a (stable) specification and allows for easy automatic processing. I
> think that there should be a format that can be easily processed,
> converted etc. and understood by Notebook app, but which doesn't have
> to be easily editable without specialized tools, and then, there could
> be formats that aren't that easy to process, but allow for easy
> editing (etc.). Then, scripts for converting to/from those formats
> could be plugins to nbconvert. I don't expect Notebook app or html
> generator to understand those extra formats directly.

I can understand why you would create another format if you want to
easily be able to edit the notebook documents by hand though.  JSON is
horrlble for that.

Cheers,

Brian