[IPython-dev] Python 3 single codebase - merged

Aaron Meurer asmeurer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 20:22:29 EDT 2013

I think an even better way is to use a .pth file
(http://docs.python.org/2/library/site.html#module-site). This has the
advantage that they are environment specific, so, for instance, I can
put IPython dev in one environment and IPython stable in another. If
you modify $PYTHONPATH and $PATH globally, it's a mess.

I personally use conda environments, and so I think this strategy is
the best in that situation (hopefully conda will gain the ability to
manage this stuff soon too). If it works with virtualenv, it would
probably be the best there too.

Aaron Meurer