[IPython-dev] Dependency on pyreadline

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 04:26:21 EST 2013

On 13 November 2013 08:14, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you want to do a quick PR against the docs?
>
> I'd be happy to, may take a couple of days to find some free time, but
> I'll sort something out.

I'm just looking at this now. One thing that struck me was that the
reason I picked up on this is that when installed, pyreadline in
injected into *every* Python process (because core python imports
readline on startup). This changes behaviour in *every* Python process
(for example, "standard" Windows command history is lost, and Ctrl-Z
works differently). Also, there is a bug of some sort (involving the
low level console handling) that causes an infinite exception chain if
you import pip from the interactive prompt.

Is it appropriate to mention these issues in the IPython docs? I don't
want to add FUD, but I think people should have the information they
need to make a decision. (Maybe add the point about changed behaviour,
but omit the bug as it's rare, and might get fixed).

Paul