[IPython-dev] Discovering kernels/profiles

Matthias BUSSONNIER bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 05:19:29 EST 2013

Le 9 nov. 2013 à 22:49, Thomas Kluyver a écrit :

> I'm starting to think about how newly installed kernels can be discovered by IPython, and the links between kernels and profiles.
>
> Does this sound sensible?

But other things might need to change when you change kernels. Like  syntax highlighting,
execute_on_complete_block, logo in the notebook, default code_mirror_theme.
So you actually do need to have a full config logic loading that change depending on the kernel.
You cannot **just** create a profile on the fly.

I think that the "include the names of kernels that don't yet have a matching profile"
make no sense. Either the kernel is installed and ships with a default-profile (in whatever form)
or it does not exist.
Also I would be more in favor of a structure along :

.ipython/profiles_default/
	- config_*.json
	- IJulia/
		-config.json