[IPython-dev] Flat is better than nested

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri May 17 18:16:49 EDT 2013

Hi Carlos,

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Carlos Córdoba <ccordoba12 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, thanks for the answer, that makes more sense (although I don't agree
> with making such changes so far ahead in time).
>
> But what about my proposal of an __all__ attribute? That would make
> IPython consumer lives much easier and pleasant.

Yes, that's something we actually need to work on and that's been on
my radar for a long time: exposing for some of the main packages a bit
of interface in the main __init__ file.

BTW, it's worth noting that the Qt code in IPython is very much in
need of engineering love... You guys and Enthought are the main
stakeholders in there, but there's not a ton of activity.

The reality is that it's a bit of a liability to have a complex code
like that where the most active core IPython team isn't really using
it.  So if you see architectural cleanups that you can make, by all
means dig into the code.  I'm sure things will be better for everyone
involved if that part of the code gains some more active
maintainership.