[IPython-dev] submodules over https

W. Trevor King wking at tremily.us
Thu May 2 13:42:33 EDT 2013

On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 06:15:11PM +0100, Aron Ahmadia wrote:
> Just wanted to point out that I found out how to use submodules from
> your pull request to pycuda.  Thanks!

Glad to help :).

On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 10:28:51AM -0700, MinRK wrote:
> Mirroring is a better case, since it shouldn't actually affect the
> repo.  But it seems pretty terrible that under normal circumstances,
> no clone of any IPython repo other than the official one or a proper
> careful mirror will actually be functional.

I think “proper careful mirror” is a bit alarmist ;).  If it's just a
single level of submodules (and it's currently just a single
`components` submodule), all you have to do is mirror the submodules
at the same place.  For me:

  $ cd /var/git
  $ git clone git://github.com/ipython/ipython.git
  $ git clone git://github.com/ipython/ipython-components.git

Working mirror complete ;).

Cheers,
Trevor