[IPython-dev] submodules over https

Dave Hirschfeld dave.hirschfeld at gmail.com
Thu May 2 07:20:30 EDT 2013

Aron Ahmadia <aron <at> ahmadia.net> writes:

> Hi Dave,
> I just noticed that the submodule URLs are hardcoded instead of relative:
>

> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/master/.gitmodules#L3

So that's where the path is hard coded - good to know!

> Can you check that if you do a non-recursive checkout, then modify this
line in the top-level .gitmodule file from:

> url = git://github.com/ipython/ipython-components.git
>
> url = ../ipython-components.git
>

> that everything works for you?

I can confirm that changing the url to a relative path in this one location
allows everything to work correctly with a repo checked out via https.

> It seems there's a typo in setupbase.py
>
> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/master/setupbase.py#L384
>
> I'm assuming that 'external' should in fact be 'components'
> With this change I can compile & run the latest IPython.

NB: To build & install you still have to fix the typo in setupbase.py

Thanks,
Dave