[IPython-dev] D3js and IPython

Matthias BUSSONNIER bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 14:28:22 EST 2013

Hi !

It look really great :

A few comment :

Obstacle 1
def x():
	from IPython.core.display import Javascript
	Javascript('alert("a")')
x()

you probably want to `return Javascript('alert("a")')`
Am I wrong ?

Obstacle 2:
 same : `return HTML()` I guess...

Please, please, please don't inline script.
We will in anyway prevent script in output so this will become useless anyway.
Which will deprecate _js_repr_ (at least make it useless) but Brian Json-handler branch
ill work much better to do what you want.

Obstacle 3/Obstacle 4
Will be solve with brian Json Handler branch.

You probably want to inject your own library in the notebook,
which can be done via custom.js

draft doc : http://elacave.lmdb.eu/~carreau/yui/classes/IPython.customjs.html
use $.getScript(url)
for example :
$.getScript('d3.min.js') in you have d3.min.js in .ipython/profile_xxx/static/js/d3.min.js

You might be interesting in
http://epmoyer.github.com/ipy_table/

To join effort.

Thanks.