[IPython-dev] iPython binary wheels for OS-X

Aaron Meurer asmeurer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 22:02:01 EST 2013

On Dec 9, 2013, at 6:24 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd quite happily argue, though, that if the core readline library is
>  sufficiently broken when built with libedit on OSX to cause all of
> these problems, then that should surely be flagged as a bug with core
> Python.

It's actually VERY broken with OS-X 10.9 (Mavericks)

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2013-October/129832.html

That's being fixed, but it kind of points out how depending on apple's
libedit is kind of fragile, and depending on whatever the system happens to
have installed is maybe not such a good idea.

Too bad about the licensing of readline, but maybe it would actually be
better if core python simple used an appropriately licenced library and
bundles that -- i.e. libedit, though I guess it really isn't as good.

I had thought or was liberally licensed, but now I'm not so sure. PyPI
lists it as both GPL and PSF. I guess we should ask the author.

Aaron Meurer

-Chris

> Maybe Python should just not build the builtin readline if all
> it has available is libedit - has any OSX user had this discussion
> with the core team?
>
> Paul

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov