[IPython-dev] Guppy (Heapy) for variables in %who?

Erik Bray erik.m.bray at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 13:01:02 EDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Josh,
>
> On 20 August 2013 10:48, Josh Wasserstein <ribonucleico at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> As you may already know, Heapy provides nice memory statistics of the
>> object heap. Here are a couple of links discussing it:
>> *
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/110259/which-python-memory-profiler-is-recommended
>> * http://guppy-pe.sourceforge.net/#Heapy
>>
>> IPython already has a magic for printing interactive variables: who,
>> similar to MATLAB's who: http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/who.html
>> except that the IPython version does not show the size of objects in memory.
>> This is where Guppy comes into play, since it can provide memory statistics
>> of the object heap.
>>
>> I was wondering if there have been any efforts or discussions in
>> integrating Heapy (or any other memory profiler) into IPython.
>

> I don't recall any discussion about Heapy. The memory_profiler module has
> IPython integration:
>
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/memory_profiler/0.27#ipython-integration
>
> If you're interested, the best thing is to write an IPython extension to do
> what you want:
>
> http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/config/extensions/index.html#writing-extensions

I would love to see a Heapy extension for IPython--Josh, are you
planning to work on something like this?  I use Heapy a lot to test
for reference cycles and memory leaks.  I'm actually about to embark
on restructuring some code that is very prone to such things, so
having an easy way to test for this in IPython would be fantastically
useful and I might work on it myself if you're not going to.

Erik