[IPython-dev] [sympy] Treating Python 3 as a first-class citizen

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 15:40:09 EDT 2013

On 5 August 2013 19:32, Ondřej Čertík <ondrej.certik at gmail.com> wrote:

> Though the PEP above says that eventually "python" should point to python
> 3.

Debian developers are strongly against ever making that change. It's
possible that they'll change their minds in a few years, but I wouldn't
bank on it.

What is confusing to me is what is fundamentally different in Python 3.2,
> as opposed to Python 2.5 or 2.6, when you have a single code base.
> E.g. we do not bother with creating ipython2.5 and ipython2.6, so that they
> can be run side by side, and people simply use virtualenv to run them
> side by side.
> So why cannot the same approach be used for Python 3.2?

Many more systems have a 2.x and a 3.x installed together, and many more
users will want to run a 2.x and a 3.x version in parallel than wanted to
run, say, 2.5 once 2.6 was available. I think the Debian approach of
treating Python 2 and 3 as two separate, albeit similar, platforms works
nicely.

(In fact I think IPython used to make versioned entry points like
ipython2.6, but that's not important).

Thomas