[IPython-dev] IPython Notebook on Webfaction

T J tjhnson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 12:19:01 EDT 2012

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 1:54 PM, T J <tjhnson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 2:42 PM, MinRK <benjaminrk at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Look promising.  This pull requests seems to make it easier to use the
>>> notebook behind a proxy, but its unclear to me if this allows me to
>>> restrict which the ports the notebooks will try to use.
>>>

>> People get confused by the fact that the notebook communicates with
>> *kernels* via random localhost ports (even there, it connects, it does not
>> listen).  All communications with browsers happen over a single port, and
>> the notebook server only ever listens on that single user-configurable port.
>>

> Thanks for the clarification. Very helpful.

I've given this another try now (still behind the Webfaction proxy), using
pull request #2321, but I'm still getting "404: Not Found".  In order to
use SockJS, must I do any configuration or should it have been automatic?
 Is there a way that I can make IPython provide more detailed log
information so that I can pinpoint why I'm getting the 404s.  Here is what
I see at the command line:

    WARNING:root:404 GET / (127.0.0.1) 0.64ms

My config file is:

c = get_config()
c.NotebookApp.ip = '*'
c.NotebookApp.base_project_url = '/notebook/'
c.NotebookApp.base_kernel_url = '/notebook/'
c.NotebookApp.port = 26000
c.NotebookApp.open_browser = False
c.NotebookApp.webapp_settings = {'static_url_prefix':'/notebook/static/'}
c.IPKernelApp.pylab = 'inline'
c.IPKernelApp.pylab_import_all = False