[IPython-dev] Scipy central & IPython notebook.

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 14:03:14 EDT 2012

A few other reasons I would like this to be developed under the
IPython universe as part of nbviewer:

* I am not sure that the community as a whole is ready to commit to
having the notebook as this central and important.  The ipython dev
team is however ready for this and I think we should just lead with
code and people will follow.
* Marketing.  If it is part of the ipython universe, we can control
the messaging and marketing to promote the notebook and ipython.  As a
project, we tend to not be very outgoing with our marketing and I
think this is a mistake.  This type of site is a great opportunity for
us to be bold with our messaging = "The IPython Notebook is awesome
and you should be using it for stuff like this, here is how to get
started!"
*  I want us to be able to develop the site it in a way that has a
consistent look and feel as i) the notebook web app and ii) the
ipython website.  If we develop it ourselves, that is not a problem.
If we work with the larger community, there are other stake holders.
I think that in the long run, we will want to have consistently
branded sites (using something like twitter bootstrap with a
consistent theme).
* Any such site has to be developed in close conjunction with the
direction of the notebook file format and nbconvert.  The ipython dev
team are the primary stakeholders in that.

Cheers,

Brian