[IPython-dev] Moving all dev docs and IPEPs to github

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 16:23:54 EDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:

> In my mind, a user focused wiki and a dev focused wiki could be
> maintained separately.  I really want to keep all of our dev related
> things on github as it makes our dev process much more discoverable.
> But I do agree that having two wikis is a bit silly.

I think a wiki can have a 'dev' area and a 'user' area, but having two
systems is more overhead than makes sense for us.  We have such a
small and constrained team, we really need to minimize all overhead.

> I think that moving everything to github is the best way to have all
> our dev related docs in one place rather than 3 or 4.  I am definitely
> +1 on the idea.

Well, let's go ahead and have a quick vote from everyone who has a
stake in it (aka anyone who has contributed to the wiki or is likely
to)...  I'll just send a separate email on it.  Let's have the vote on
the user list so users who aren't subscribed here also have a chance
to voice their opinion.

> Yes, our roadmap needs to be informal, flexible, non-verbose and
> dynamic.  I would like something that people feel good about updating
> often with small bits of information that is useful to all.  I don't
> want something that takes hours to update or is otherwise a burden to
> us.  I think that having most of our dev process managed by issues and
> PRs works great and I don't want to mess with that.  It is just a
> little bit of the bigger picture stuff that we need a bit more
> organization on.  And honestly, the IPEPs will help with that as well.

Agreed.