[IPython-dev] internationalisation and translation of ipython

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 12:54:14 EDT 2012

On 3 September 2012 17:39, Nicolas Pettiaux <nicolas at pettiaux.be> wrote:
> The point though is that I master English and French, I
> speak rather fluently Dutch but I am not an expert and that is it.

I hope that once we've got the infrastructure set up, adding new
languages will be something relatively easy that many people can get
involved with. The results of the user survey indicate that we have
users in a lot of different countries:

http://ipython.org/usersurvey2011.html#countries

In terms of the framework, I would be wary of using anything other
than the standard library gettext module unless there's a clear need
for it. Lots of other software manages with gettext.

Thanks,
Thomas