[IPython-dev] IPython donations are now live

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 21:15:48 EDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Bradley M. Froehle
<brad.froehle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow, that's incredibly generous.

Indeed.  Obviously it's possible that numfocus may need to revise that
policy in the future if it becomes unsustainable, but the goal
(speaking with my numfocus hat on) is to try to keep our impact on the
donation stream as minimal as possible.  We're starting at 0%, and
we'll see if we can get enough donations directed *at* numfocus to
support its operations without having to take a cut of the
project-specific donations.

Numfocus will soon start fundraising for the foundation itself, and
those funds will be spent both on the operating costs of the
foundation and on supporting various projects and community efforts.
For example, projects will be able to ask numfocus for support say for
a sprint or a conference trip; in fact numfocus has already provided
small amounts of this type of help.  But with those funds that belong
to numfocus, it has the ability to first cover its basic expenses and
then allocate them to projects that request them or based on its own
initiatives.

It would be great if this model can thrive, as it would give both
numfocus resources to exist and support the community, while having
zero negative impact on the donation streams it helps manage for the
individual projects.