[IPython-dev] bug in html notebook in latest version?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 13:31:09 EDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> You will also *have to* clear your browser cache after the update.

BTW, I think it's imperative that we find a way for this to be handled
more automatically and robustly.

Most 'regular' users aren't on the mailing list, and they won't come
here with questions if the notebook all of a sudden breaks.  They'll
simply dismiss it as unstable technology that can't be trusted.

We really need to make a plan to focus on JS testing ASAP.  We now
have many, many users, but the JS codebease is getting complex.

Without proper testing, it's not a question of if, but simply of how
often and how badly we'll bust the notebook with seemingly innocuous
changes.

I hate to say this, b/c I'm not the one writing much JS code and I
don't want to sound like a grouch, but I'd like to ask everyone
working on JS to tackle the testing problem as a very high priority
question and to consider a moratorium on major new work until we sort
it out.  For years the old IPython codebase started without tests, and
that started to slowly paralize and kill the project.  Eventually we
bit the bullet and developed a  testing machinery that, while ugly at
the beginning, got us moving.  And over time, that machinery has
gradually gotten better and better, and today on the core code we
actually do have decent testing (not perfect, but not terrible
either).

I am growing increasingly worried about more and more JS code without
tests and I fear we're going in the same direction here.

I am NOT trying to slow down development or boss anyone around, but we
really need to take this problem seriously, or the whole project will
suffer.

Thoughts?