[IPython-dev] interactive widgets with d3 and three.js

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 01:06:29 EDT 2012

Chris,

> I'm trying to build some interactive representations of geometric
> objects (domains of pde's) in the notebook. For now I'm using d3.js
> and three.js for the interactive representation and haven't written
> any callbacks to actually change the python representations so this
> equations is just about display for now. I'm starting with rectangles
> and rectangular cuboids. I can't seem to get the objects to display
> and interact properly without separating the html from the javascript
> like this:
>
> display(d.html) #add a canvas or div element
> d.javascript #get the canvas or div element and render to it with
> d3.js or three.js
>
> Shouldn't I be able to just stick the javascript in a <script> element
> and get the right behavior from d.html? Or should I actually be
> grabbing some element id in the javascript and just having the
> javascript modify it? It's not really that big of a deal--I'll
> probably add and edit() or show() function anyway. I'm more concerned
> about straightening out my understanding of how ipython is interacting
> with the generated html for a given notebook.

Yes, if you want to do everything with JS, you will need to learn
about jquery and use that to modify the DOM.  When the JS code is run,
there are two jquery objects you have access to:  element and
container:

element = the div that all output should go into.  You will usually do
element.append(new_stuff)
container = the div that is outside the element that starts out
hidden.  In your JS code you will want to call container.show()

BUT, we should warn you that we are going to eliminate the ability to
run Python generated JS in the notebook.  There are two reasons for
this:

* Security.  The current approach opens the door for some really nasty
(and trivial) attacks that we can't allow.
* Ease of development.  As you will find, writing Python code that
writes JS code that is run in the browser using eval is nearly
impossible to actually get anything done.  I wrote all of this code
and I still can't do it for anything other than something trivial.
eval makes debugging impossible and getting data from Python to JS in
this manner is horribly painful.

Moving forward here is what we are going to do instead:

* Rely on publishing JSON messages to get data back to the browser.
This will use the _repr_json_ method or publish_json function we
already have.
* Create JSON "handlers" in the notebook that know how to handle
different types of JSON messages.
* These handlers will be loaded when the main notebook page is loaded
and will be part of the notebook "server".
* We will ship basic handlers that "everyone" wants to use with
ipython proper - along with their JS dependencies (such as d3).
* We will allow users to install new handlers for plugins they want to
develop/use.

We are a ways off from implementing all of this (I have just barely
starting to play with it) and we will need to discuss the details with
the rest of the dev team, but I wanted to let you know that we are
moving in this direction as it obviously affects your plans.

Here is a branch that I have that starts to try this approach out:

https://github.com/ellisonbg/ipython/tree/opt

Here is the specific handler for some JSON I published:

https://github.com/ellisonbg/ipython/blob/opt/IPython/frontend/html/notebook/static/js/outputarea.js#L455

If you want to play, you could start to pick through this code, but
warning - it is a TOTAL mess and a half.  Probably best to keep
playing like you are, and later convert to the new approach.

Cheers,

Brian