[IPython-dev] custom widget example : python and javascript

Matthias BUSSONNIER bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 12:38:29 EST 2012

Hi Massimo,

The documentation is really sparse on the JS side.
What you will need to do is :

publish javascript form python,
this javascript will have access to a `container` variable that you will have to make visible,
and add all the element you which inside (using query).

This javascript can bind event to `IPython.notebook.kernel.execute(code,callback)`
to execute code in the kernel.

you can have a look at `docs/examples/widgets/directview`
where there is a drop down menu that ask you on which engine you wish to execute the code.
So this should be a good starting point.

Brian have also a pending PR to make things easier
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/2518

--
Matthias